Abigail Molina | Criminal Defense Attorney
Abigail Molina, an experienced criminal defense attorney, is the founder and senior attorney at Molina Law Group With a B.A. in International Studies and a law degree from the University of Oregon, she is licensed to practice law in both Oregon and Texas. If you are accused of a criminal offense, you will find Abigail Molina’s compassionate personality and winning experience an invaluable asset to your case.
In Oregon, traffic citations can be classified as either violations or crimes. A traffic violation carries a fine, but no jail time. Traffic crimes, on the other hand, are punishable by both a fine and jail time.
Examples of traffic violations include:
- Running a red light
- Driving without insurance.
If it is a violation, you have the following choices:
- Appear in court at the appointed time;
- Plead guilty or no contest by mail;
- Plead not guilty and request a trial date by written appearance.
Examples of traffic crimes in Oregon are:
- Driving under the influence
- Hit and run
- Reckless driving.
If you receive a traffic crime citation, consider the following actions:
- Hire a criminal defense attorney to mitigate for you.
- Appear in court on the arraignment date listed on the citation.
- Plead guilty or not guilty before the arraignment judge.
- Post bond or bail money per the judicial determination.
- Appear at your scheduled hearing.
A traffic citation will indicate whether you are accused of a criminal offense or a violation. If it is a traffic crime, you must appear at the time and place indicated.
Crimes in this category are more serious and usually result in a fine and, often, jail time of up to 12 months.
Examples of a misdemeanor are:
- Petty theft
- Threatening to harm another person
- Drug Offenses
- Indecent exposure
If you are accused of a misdemeanor, expect the following:
- Appear in court at an appointed time for the arraignment.
- Be informed of your rights.
- Verify that you understand the charges and possible punishments.
- Choose if you want to hire a criminal defense attorney.
- Enter a plea of guilty or not guilty.
Trials for misdemeanors are often expedited and, if there is a jury trial, sometimes use a smaller jury. Jail time is usually served in a local or county jail.
These are the most severe crimes with the most significant punishment for those convicted.
Examples of felony crimes are:
- Grand theft
Those accused of a felony are also entitled to a trial by jury.
For felony accusations in Oregon:
- Hire a criminal defense attorney to defend and mitigate for you.
- Appear before a grand jury to determine if there is enough evidence to charge you with a crime. It is important to note that the grand jury does not determine guilt or innocence.
- If there is enough evidence, proceed with a trial.
Felony crimes carry significant fines and prison sentences of more than a year. Sentences for felony convictions are carried out in state or federal prisons, rather than in local or county jails. In many cases, having a felony conviction also prohibits you from owning weapons, joining the military and registering to vote.
4660 Main St. Suite 300-2
Springfield, Oregon 97478
(855) 305-6059 (fax)
4145 Southwest Watson Central, Suite 350
Beaverton, OR 97005
We Fight for What is Fair
At Molina Law, our goal is to ensure that you are treated fairly and with dignity.
Our compassionate staff will help you understand all of your options and provide you with honest, quality representation.
This website is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. Use of and access to this website or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Molina Law Group LLC and the user or browser. Do not send any privileged or confidential information to Molina Law Group LLC, or any of their attorneys or staff, through this website. No prior result in a case guarantees a future result that is the same. Each case we handle is individual with different facts and therefore every case is different. We cannot guarantee any specific result in your case.